Laura's Logic - The Application Of New Math In The Teenage Mind

I am really a pretty logical guy.  In fact, maybe to a fault sometimes.  I even sometimes think in math if that makes any sense to anyone who might be reading this.  My problem solving skills have been an attribute appreciated by many. And so, it should not be surprising to know that when I am dealing with someone who apparently does not think that way, well, it can be unnerving for me. 

Tonight,  Martie and I were at the dinner table with Laura.  We were having a pleasant - "normal" conversation, or so I thought.  It was then that Laura shared some insight into how her mind works. 

Laura - Why does the year start in January?

Papa - What?

Laura - I mean why does it have to start January?  Why can't it start in July? Why can't the first of August be the start of the new year?

Nana - Why would you want the new year to start in August?

Laura - Because it is summer and we are not in school. It makes sense to me.

Now friends, my mind was blank.  I could think of nothing to say to counter her "logic".  I think she was using new math on me.  I get it. Let's unhinge the world's dependence on January 1st being the beginning of the year and make August 1st the beginning of the year instead. Why? Because it is summer and there is no school during the summer!  Brilliant! What were we thinking, people!! Actually, this could make the world's response to Y2K seem like child's play.  I didn't try to explain that to Laura .. I was still in shock.

Laura sat there, at the table, with a smug look on her face.  Satisfied that she had made her point.  It makes perfect sense to her. Convinced that she had won two converts to her way of thinking. Not! I must admit that although I did not feel compelled to hack my Calendar App on my phone, it was a great lesson to be remembered.  I must remember the next time I try to use "my" logic to reason with her, that this is the girl who is convinced that New Year's Eve is best celebrated on July 31st.  Better mark you calendars! And pray for me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Baby Steps

I Used To Think I Was A Good Communicator, Until Now!