Explaining The Difference Between Anticipation and Constipation

I told you that Laura has her own dictionary, which is an amalgamation of Dan Webster, current colloquialisms for her generation and Laura's own creations.  The other day, Laura was preparing a fund raising letter for her July trip to Haiti with me, her brother Nate and a group from our church. I am returning to my old stomping grounds for a week.  I did promise the folks at work that I bought a round trip ticket.  It was nice to think they were going to miss me, but my suspicion is they would have been just as happy if I could leave my brain in a jar connected to my computer.  (Raising my left hand now which is a sign that I am being sarcastic.  I know they love me! oops there goes that hand again!)

So.... Laura is typing her letter.  She asks me.  "How do you spell constipating?" (Me) That is not a word. (Laura) Yes it is. (Me) Use it in a sentence. (Laura) I am constipating my trip to Haiti. (Me) Do you know what Constipation is? (Laura) Papa!  Yeeesssss. (Me) Well constipate is the root word for constipation and is the root word you are using for constipating.  I think you mean anticipating. (Laura) Oh, yeah. -- [smile]. 

But after I thought about it, both have to do with waiting for something to happen .. so maybe, just maybe, in her young mind she was right.  Just not for the reason she thinks. In fact, later in the car, when I shared my post with her, she said .. "So, I was right!"  That girl is a work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laura's Logic - The Application Of New Math In The Teenage Mind

Taking Baby Steps

I Used To Think I Was A Good Communicator, Until Now!