Wasted Words

So ... the twins are 16 which means that I have been teaching them to drive.  In fact, Laura just received her driver's license in the mail.

I have been vey careful to instruct them in defensive driving techniques and they have been doing rather well.  Ok, I admit that there are some lessons that may be a little over the top, like my lesson in physics and centripetal force as it applies to passengers in a car going around a curve. Or maybe the lesson on hydroplaning when it rains and how friction is reduced which affects braking distance.  Oh yeah, maybe the one on how the engine cooling system works and also supplies heated air in the car.  I thought they were great points .. but I may hold the minority view.  I think the kids were more concerned about keeping the car on the road.

I decided to let Laura drive into Montgomery, on Vaughn Road.  I was busy talking to her about what was going on around us and how important situational awareness was in avoiding accidents.  We were stopped at a light at the time.  I noticed that she we staring into the rear view mirror and not listening to my great advice.  So I asked her what was going on that concerned her behind us.  I was thinking there was a car that was too close or something else. To which she replied "Do you think that is a man and a woman in the car behind us?"  Whaaaattt! Laura are you not paying attention to me?  Do you not see all of these cars around you, begging to dent your fender?  Then she peered through the passenger window to see who was driving the vehicle next to us.  Where did I go wrong?  Where did I lose her during my riveting instruction?  Had she heard anything that I had said to her.  I think the answer to the last question might be "No". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laura's Logic - The Application Of New Math In The Teenage Mind

Taking Baby Steps

I Used To Think I Was A Good Communicator, Until Now!