Finding New Meaning for Authority

You know that Laura and Nate are twins.  We have noticed a dynamic between them that I have decided is found only with twins.  It is a special relationship.  One that I did not have with my siblings and I had 6 chances to develop one. 

So .... we are in the SUV.  The soccer game is done .. we won! and we are waiting on Nate. These past few months I have been perfecting the art of waiting with two kids in two different sports, practiced and played in two different locations.  Martie and I have been successfully losing some of the weight that we packed on since returning from Haiti. But, I would also like to figure out how to lose some of the "wait" that I have accrued since the kids have become active in sports.  Somehow, I don't think I will be quite as successful.

Ok .. back to the story.  Laura had invited some of her girl BFFs to watch the game. They drove separately and the plan was to meet at Sonic after the game where they could get something to eat .. oh did I say they didn't have any money?  I told Laura that I thought Nate was going to ride with the other 2 girls to which she replied, [L] "That is not going to happen!" [C] "Excuse me Laura, but I think that is Nate's decision, not yours." [L] "Yes it is mine!" [C] " Laura you don't have any authority over Nate." [L] "Yes I do!" [C] "No you don't" (you can see where that discussion was going and so could I)

[C] "Ok Laura, what do you think authority means?" [L] "Authority means you love the person and get to tell them what to do."  Nate enters the vehicle and I choose to fight the battle another day.  I needed more ammunition anyway! Oh, but one parting shot [C] "Laura, if you want to see what authority really is, I can show you." Silence ... Ha! I felt rather smug, but sensed I had not won. I put the car in gear and we left to spend some money at Sonic.  They ate and we got to stare at the menu full of wonderful things that were"verboten" for the two waiters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laura's Logic - The Application Of New Math In The Teenage Mind

Taking Baby Steps

I Used To Think I Was A Good Communicator, Until Now!